The summer holidays are here…..although it’s hard to notice the difference this year! Now is the time for summer cooking with children.
Season Well are providing lots of child-friendly recipes and cook-along videos for a Healthy Holiday’s project we are working on with Lemon Balm Therapeutic Horticulture CIC. We are giving out recipe kits and fun activity kits to families with children in Meanwood, North Leeds. It’s great to be able to support families with feeding and entertaining their kids in this difficult summer. Families in Meanwood and North Leeds just need to email us on Becky@seasonwell.co.uk or call us on 07790393351 to get their kids registered to receive our Food and Fun packs. These can be collected at Meanwood Valley Preschool on Mondays, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 10.30 am. We have a lovely garden for kids to have a play in and they can even feed the chickens too!
So far this week we have cooked a vegetable frittata. and banana pancakes with a rhubarb and apple sauce.
Here’s the video cook-along for banana pancakes and the recipes for both dishes are below.
Happy cooking! Do get in touch if you would like FREE Food & Fun kits for your children over the summer holidays.
Banana Pancakes with Fruity Sauce (serves 3)
(makes 6 small pancakes)
For the Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- Oil, margarine or butter for cooking
For the fruit sauce
- 1 dessert spoon sugar ( or 2 teaspoons honey)
- 2 small apples
- 1 stick of rhubarb
- 1 orange
- 1 dessert spoon sugar ( or 2 teaspoons honey)
- Measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- chopping board and knife
- Potato masher (or a fork)
- Peeler (or sharp knife)
- Lemon squeezer (or a fork)
- Large serving spoon
- Food turner
Make Fruit sauce:
- Peel and quarter the apples. Remove the core (the tough bit where the pips are) Chop into small pieces and put in the saucepan
- Chop your rhubarb into 2cm pieces and add to the pan
- Squeeze the juice from the orange using a lemon squeezer or a fork and pour over the fruit in the pan.
- Add the sugar then put onto a gentle heat and cook for 10 minutes (cover the pan with a lid if you have one).
Make Pancake mix:
- Slice the banana and put into a bowl. Then use the masher (or a fork) to mash the banana into a paste.
- Crack your eggs into the bowl and use a fork to whisk them into the banana.
- If you want fluffier pancakes you can add a little bit of baking powder but this isn’t necessary for yummy pancakes.
- Now your fruit should be cooked into a sauce (like apple sauce) so take it off the heat. If you want you can add a bit of food colouring to make your sauce pink
Cook the Pancakes
- Put a little oil ( about½ tablespoon) in your frying pan and put on a medium heat
- When the oil is nice and hot add large spoonfuls of pancake mix to the pan. Make sure you don’t put the pancakes too close together as they will spread during cooking.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on the first side then use a turner to flip the pancakes over to cook the other side.
- Serve them hot with the fruit sauce on top. You could also top with yoghurt and fruit.
Cook along with Becky Live at 12 pm Monday, Weds and Friday on Facebook.com/Lemonbalmplayproject
(Makes 2-4 portions)
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- Clove of garlic, crushed (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 100g grated cheddar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 4 or 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs: e.g. parsley, chives, oregano, basil or 1 teaspoon dried herbs (optional)
You can use whatever vegetables you have in a frittata- it’s a great way to use up what’s in your fridge. Aim for about 3 different vegetables.
- 1Large Frying pan
- 1 large plate
- Sharp Knife & chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk ( or a fork)
- Wooden spoon
- Peel and dice the onions
- Slice the red pepper (remember to remove the white core and seeds) into medium-sized pieces.
- Wipe your mushrooms to clean any soil off then slice them
- If using garlic crush it flat with your knife then chop finely
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the milk and whisk together.
- Place a tablespoon of oil in the frying pan and put on a medium heat. Once it is nice and warm add the onion and gently fry until the onions turn clear.
- Add your vegetables and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped herbs to the egg mixture and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Stir them together.
- Spread the vegetables evenly in the frying pan. Sprinkle over the cheese and pour over the eggs.
- Cook the frittata on a gentle heat for 5-10 minutes or until the eggs are just beginning to set.
- To cook the top of the frittata, put the frying pan under the grill for 5-10 minutes If you don’t have a grill you can flip the frittata over. First, loosen the edges with a spatula. Place a plate or pan on top of the tortilla. Turn upside down and slide the frittata back into the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in slices. Is nice eaten hot or cold with a salad or with bread